The best laid plans of mice and men…

30 03 2008

often go awry.Or something like that anyway.  This is one of the busiest times of the year so far for me, and of course, now is when I get sick.  It started on Wednesday night from 10-11 as I decided to stay up late and finish my homework (before the day it was due–gasp!) so that I could attend a lunch conversation that I’d been invited to a few times before, but always had conflicting appointments.As I sat in “big green,” writing my “reflections,” I noticed a scratchiness and pain in my throat.Now mind you, it’s the end of March, and for the past 20 years or so, every year when the pollen soars, my allergies decide to attack.  I went on to bed, assuming that “that time of the month” had arrived for me.  (Ok, that was tacky, but totally true.)  I awoke in the middle of the night with a fever–a bit unusual–and the dreaded feeling that this was progressing much faster than normal.  Normal allergy flare-up for the TeeJ–sore throat, stopped up nose, runny nose, coughing his head off, over it (with the help of your friendly ‘you have to sign because it’s behind the counter’ antihistamine, and so not to advertise the chain brand it comes from, let’s just say it rhymes with Smallgreens.) and bounce back to normal in a span of 4-5 days.The fever should have been a dead giveaway.  I woke up again at 5 am, and rummaged through the medicine drawer for the blessed pill from heaven.  Avast!  All out.  I decided that my alarm was to sound at 6 anyway, so I would head to “Smallgreens” to get it.  At least maybe I could pick up some of those lozenges that just temporarily masks the pain.  Of course, in Waco, it must actually be too dangerous for “Smallgreens” to remain open all night.  Another detriment to living a quarter of a block away from hell.  I specifically remember a time I knew Kee-um really loved me when she journeyed out about midnight to have an RX filled for her dying husband, puking his guts out after having his wisdom teeth cut out.  But I digress.The day progressed and I felt worse and worse.  I went to the lunch, and even participated in the conversation.  I had to drive a van that evening for prospective students, taking them to dinner as well.  Needless to say, I arrived home at 830ish, and crashed on the couch within 20 minutes.  Another tossing and turning night, but I had to drive the shuttle again, cov grp, and my tutorial with Dr. G that his GA had threatened us within an inch of our life COULD NOT BE MADE UP IF WE MISSED IT.  So, sore throat be danged, I was going to make that meeting.  Plus, I had another free lunch coming and another driving assignment, the always enjoyable and exciting Tour de Waco.Somehow I made it through, and even through the evening meal and polite conversation while sipping a surprisingly good smoothie.  Ah, it was definitely soothing to my flames of hell throat.Bedtime came at 10 again.  Which gets me back to where I started–the plan for today was for me to head to the library at 9 when it opened to finish my presentation for Tuesday, and to be home by 3 when the bug would emerge from her nap.  But the bug had other plans.  Sometime in the middle of the night, the bug decided it would be immensely cool to invade our bed.  She spent the first 2 hours kicking the fire out of her mother, and the next 3 using my side as a kicking post, all the while snoring directly into my ear.  I moved to the couch just before 6.  I actually fell back asleep until 7, and was planning to get up and do the aforementioned library visit.  But the bug had been pulling on her ears the night before a telltale sign in buggy-world that an ear infection is lurking.  Mom wanted to make an appointment for the bug, and not wanting to be wanting for attention for my own sickness, I asked her to book me an appointment as well.  She said that I couldn’t see the pediatrician.  I told her I knew that, but I didn’t have a dr, so the bug’s should work for me as well.  They can look into my throat just as any other doc can and give me a diagnosis.  She wasn’t buying it.  Bug got an appt at 930.  I couldn’t get in until 1045.  To make a long story short (too late!), the bug didn’t have an ear infection (woo hoo!), but I have strep throat.  I think this is the first time I’ve ever had strep throat, and let me tell you, I ain’t liking it too much.  The doc warned me to stay away from the bug, at which the mom let out an audible groan in front of the doc.  Anyway, after a day or 2 of antibiotics, things should get back to normal as my swallowing won’t feel like I just ate a torch.  But, I didn’t get to the library until almost 130, which meant I didn’t get home until 8.  That was hot water for me, as well.  Now the mom is glaring at me trying to get the computer.Bedtime for me!TJ 



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: